In the past, the U. S. citizens had the facility of the health plan called Original Medicare offered by the U.S. Government. It was a convenient and simple decision-making process at that time. Although it is the matter of past, nowadays the market is flooded with varied Medigap plans.
It is a critical decision to choose the appropriate plan for you, from the pool of Medicare Supplement Plans. Therefore, here are some important tips to assist you in making the best decision;
- Health Care Coverage One Wants – Original Medicare, which is a combination of Medicare Part (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance) covers all basic health care needs. Medicare Part C is a combination of Part A, B and D. The services (vision, hearing, and dental) not covered in Original Medicare are part of these plans. For prescribed medications, enrollment for Part D (prescription drug) plan. To get assistance in payment of medical expenditures not covered in Original Medicare, a Medigap policy can be availed.
- Analysis of Plan Costs – Review the cost of Medicare Supplement Plans very vigilantly. Calculate all the inclusive cost of premiums, deductibles, copays, and coinsurance. Afterwards, calculate your expected and actual medical expenses for outpatient surgery, inpatient hospital care, and other services.
- Plan Network (Doctors And Hospitals) – Original Medicare can be availed at any hospital or with any doctor. However, other plans have a specific network and to avail the services you need to go to the doctors and hospitals covered under that plan. Choose your plan after confirming that your doctor is part of its network.
- Prescription Drug Coverage – Every health plan for prescription drug coverage has a drug formulary. It is the list of drugs covered in the plan. Read all the related information like amount to be paid by you for branded drugs and generic drugs, pharmacies of the network are approachable to you or not.
- Included Extra Benefits – Thoroughly check for the extra coverage like fitness, dental, vision, hearing aid etc. Sometimes they are part of Medicare Supplement Plans or are available as an add-on service.
- Health Benefits Coverage While Travel – Original Medicare provides medical care from any doctor or hospital across the United States and its territories, however outside, its benefits are limited. Advantage plans provide benefits within the service area. Although, there are a number of Medicare Advantage plans that provide worldwide coverage along with foreign travel health care coverage, for health care services like emergency and urgent care.
With the help of above-explained tips, you can easily select the most suitable plan that best suits your health care needs.